What we do
ABC International Development works with fellow broadcasters and media organisations to help them achieve outcomes that are most appropriate for their circumstances.
Longer term (two- to five-year), comprehensive programs to help build the overall capacity of media organisations. These programs take a holistic approach by focusing on all areas of the organisation, from management and policy to content production and infrastructure.
Short term or one-off initiatives such as:
- Training and mentoring programs, secondments, strategy facilitation, technical support
- Consultancy – working with fellow broadcasters and other media organisations to review performance, assess technical needs and plan future strategies.
Often, we work in association with development assistance bodies and funding agencies. We also work directly with national and commercial media organisations on a fee-for-service basis
We provide assistance in all areas of broadcast and media-related organisations, including:
Management and governance
- Overall organisational capability
- Strategic management – working with senior management to help clarify goals and how to achieve them.
- Management - leadership and management development for new and experienced managers.
- Journalism training – introductory and senior journalist development programs, in addition to journalism for specific purposes i.e. crisis reporting, guidelines for reporting on children
- Radio producing and presenting, including talkback and regional reporting
- Content creation and editing for publishing on digital platforms including online and mobile
- Scriptwriting for drama and light entertainment
- Children’s TV, including edutainment
- Television production – camera, lighting, sound, editing, audio post production, producing/directing
- Documentary making
- Archive and library services, including digitisation of archives
- Broadcast Engineering and Maintenance
- Technical production skills
- Outside broadcasts
- Satellite, wide-screen, aspect ratios, broadband
- Production resource management
- performance management
- occupational health and safety
- train the trainer
- mentoring and coaching programs
Support and administration
- Legal services
- Rights management
- Property management
- Retail operations
- Sports Directing
- Multi-camera directing
- Live entertainment programs,
- Large events such as the Olympic Games
Sales and Marketing
ABC International Development can structure programs to offer training and qualifications to staff members of partner organisations. The ABC is a ‘Registered Training Organisation’ within Australia’s vocational education and training system. It is qualified to develop, deliver and assess programs that can result in on-the-job skills and formal tertiary qualifications in fields including:
- Business Services (management and administration)
- Broadcasting And Screen
- Broadcast Engineering
- Training and Assessment
- Retail Operations
ABC International Development often works in association with development assistance bodies and funding agencies. The Australian government's overseas aid program, AusAID, funds many of our activities. Other initiatives are supported by international organisations such as the World Bank and the Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU).
Who We Are
ABC International Development staff work in Australia and around the world.
We can work with the following media-related organisations and institutions to achieve optimal delivery of projects:
- Television stations
- Radio stations
- Online and print media
- Universities and other educational institutions
More About The ABC
We are part of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.